Doepfer A-183-4 Quad Level Shifter
Module A-183-4 is a fourfold level shifter. A level shifter is required if the level of a digital control signal has to be increased or decreased. A typical application is the conversion of a gate, trigger or clock signal with +5V voltage level (tolerance range +2...+5V) to +12 voltage level. The output voltage level can be set by means of a jumper to +12V or +5V. The factory setting is +12V. But it can be changed to convert also a higher to a lower level (e.g. +12V to +5V). But this application is required rarely. The output level setting by means of the jumper is global, i.e. it is valid for all four units and cannot be set individually for each unit. The four output signals are displayed by means of LEDs.
The outputs and inputs of the four sub-units are normalled via the switching contacts of the input sockets, i.e. the output signal of the upper unit is used as input signal of the unit below provided that no patch cable is inserted into the input socket of the lower unit. That way the module can be used also as clock/trigger/gate buffer or buffered multiple for digital signals. For this the signal that has to be buffered is connected to input 1. The buffered (and possible level shifted) signal appears then at all four outputs.
Voltage thresholds for the input voltages:
- voltages below +0,8 V are treated as "low"
- voltages above +3 V are treated as "high"
- Converting the levels of digital control signals (e.g. gate, trigger, clock) to another voltage level (+12V or +5V)
- buffering and duplicating digital control signals (e.g. gate, trigger, clock)
- Important note: the module cannot be used for analog signals !
Power consumption: 30 mA at +12 V and 0 mA at -12 V